Friday, May 23, 2008

Where are they now?


Today's selection was prompted by last night's Pistons win. It made me think back a few years to the 1989 Pistons team that won the title. Then it made me think one year further back to the 'Cowboy State' of Wyoming and the sharpshooter named Fennis Dembo!

Dembo is my hero for a couple reasons. First, he survived growing up with a name that sounds like either a drunk or a crazy clown...or maybe a drunk, crazy clown. And, he was one of only four black guys in the entire state of Wyoming. That's kinda cool.

Second, Fennis knows when to quit. He was a 2nd round draft pick after a legendary career at Wyoming. He averaged over 27ppg in the NCAA tournament leading the Cowboys to the Sweet 16. He 'led' (jokes people!) the Pistons to the NBA title and said 'That's it bitches, I'm out!'

Fennis was quoted a couple years ago and seems to think people still remember him. Dembo said, "I still hear a lot of it. People enjoy talking about it. You go to Cancun and people recognize you. I just went down to Progreso, Mexico, over the weekend, and a guy remembered the UCLA game."

I'm calling bullshit on that one Fennis. Seriously? You are trying to tell me some townie in Mexico was tuned in when you played a game in 1988 and remembers it? Nah, I doubt it.

Anyway, supposedly Fennis lives in San Antonio. I'm sure he's a legend there too.

Sure Fennis, whatever.

No comments: