Thursday, June 5, 2008

Your U.S. Open Odds and Ends


The PGA's second major of the year is a scant week away, and since I've got nothing else on my mind except NBA basketball, I figured I'd do a post on golf.

The PGA has decided to specially group the top 12 players in the world for the first two rounds, so the TV folks over at ESPN are high-fiving and smacking each other on the butt right now as Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson will be paired together (along with world #3 Adam Scott) next Thursday and Friday. The tension is palpable: Will Tiger & Phil talk? Will they look at each other? Will Phil club Tiger in the knee? Who is Adam Scott? My prediction is that they both end up shooting 77 both days and barely make the cut.


Another story that's been floating around is the celebrity round Golf Digest is putting on tomorrow. It features Matt Lauer, Justin Timberlake and Tony Romo playing with an amateur, John Atkinson. For those of you that haven't heard, Atkinson is battling lung cancer and was the runaway winner in Golf Digest's online vote that determined who got to play with the three celebs.

The whole premise is to see if "normal" golfers could break 100 on Torrey Pines when it is set up for the U.S. Open. Last year, Tiger stated that a 10-handicapper wouldn't have broken 100 at Oakmont under Open conditions. Romo, for his part, is pretty confident, claiming that if the wind is down, he could break 80. Since he's probably the best golfer of the foursome, and has attempted to qualify for the Open before, I don't think it's outside the bounds of reality that he could break 100. But 80? I don't think so.

Timberlake seems to have the attitude that I would have were I playing, saying, "I'll be there for comic relief. I just hope Jessica Simpson doesn't show up so Tony does well."

Actually, I kind of hope she does.

Golf Digest: U.S. Open Celebs

No comments: