Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lakers Are Essentially "Confused"

I guess Phil Jackson said it best, although he was only referring to Lamar Odom. The word he used? Confused. That pretty much sums it up for me.

The Lakers this Finals have looked confused. Kobe Bryant has uncharacteristically missed shots, and while I realize that on some of those misses he had a "hand in his face," he still usually makes most of those. The Lakers and everyone else have also looked confused at the widening gap in the foul disparity between Boston and L.A. I've been watching basketball for 20+ years, and in my experience, the team that is more physical typically gets called for more fouls. But, since we have somehow dimension-shifted into Bizarro World, that's not the case in these Finals.

The Lakers bench looks confused. Guys aren't rotating well off of screens. They're loafing on defense. And, for the love of God and all that is holy and righteous in this world, can I get ONE damned Laker to dive on the floor for a loose ball? Just one?

Tonight's game three is definitely a must-win for the Lakers. No ifs, ands or buts. I'm anticipating a bit more parity in the foul-calling department, I expect the Lakers bench to clear the cobwebs from their dusty brains, and I expect Kobe to play better. He has to.

No comments: