Wednesday, June 11, 2008

WATN? - Pascual "I-285" Perez



To be honest, I have no idea why this fool popped in my head this week. Maybe it's because I've had a lot of time with no TV while I have been moving? Maybe it's because I'm just about fed up with basketball? Or maybe it's because I was sitting in Atlanta traffic the other day and that always makes me think of one, infamous athlete...

Pascual "I-285" Perez!

My first MLB experiences were the early 80s Braves teams with Dale Murphy, Bob Horner, Brett Butler, etc. But when it came to pure comedy, it was usually Pascual.

Whether it was him peeking between his legs to check runners on first, 'finger shooting' batters or his trademark sprint to the dugout...he was always good for a laugh. Nevermind the fact that he missed a scheduled start because he was circling Atlanta and couldn't find the stadium, hence the nickname.

I'm pretty sure ol Pascual is either dead, incarcerated...or possibly an international drug kingpin by now. No matter what, he was funny as hell to watch and the most entertaining part of some truly terrible Braves baseball.

So, wherever you are Pascual...please do not get in touch. I don't want to be an accessory to whatever it is you have gotten in to since you left baseball. I have a feeling there are felony charges associated.

No comments: