Friday, May 23, 2008

JoePa, you're a crusty old fart...but I think I love you!


So I've always had respect for Joe Paterno, but not a lot of love. I think he's a legendary coach, but always seemed like a crotchety old man. I have no idea if that's how you spell that...maybe it's crotch-itty. That seems funny.

Anyway, back to the point. Today's espn.com article about JoePa talks about how he thinks all the excuses for not having a college football playoff are crap. So we have that in common. Other than that, I also have an affinity for black shoes with white socks and hair tonic...but that's for my fashion column.

The best part about the article to me is his disdain of the giant screwjob pulled on Auburn in 2004:

Paterno has not voted in the coaches' poll since 2004, when he wanted to vote for undefeated Auburn but was forced to vote for Southern California after it won the BCS title game.

"They said, 'Well, you've got to vote or else you can't participate.' So I will not participate in the voting," Paterno said. "Not that I'm against what other people want to do, it's just that philosophically I think you ought to win it on the field. If I have to vote for somebody only because people have said these are the two teams that ought to be in the BCS championship game and I think they left somebody out that probably ought to be in it, that's when I'll feel a playoff ought to be appropriate. I've always been for a playoff."


So, thanks Joe. For your fashion sense AND your common sense, I salute you!


No comments: